Overview and eligibility
Vanguard supports crew members wishing to further their education and build job-related skills by offering reimbursement for eligible programs through the Vanguard Academic Assistance Plan (the "Plan").
How the plan works
The Academic Assistance Plan assists active full-time crew members (scheduled to work 37.5 or more hours per week) taking courses under an eligible graduate or undergraduate degree program at an accredited institution.
The Plan provides reimbursement up to $9,000 per calendar year for tuition, books, and certain credit-based exams. (Fees, taxes, shipping and handling, software programs, supplies, and expenses relating to travel [e.g., meals, parking, and lodging] are excluded.)
The Vanguard Academic Assistance Plan is administered by EdAssist, an industry leader in strategic managed-education solutions. Visit the EdAssist site for more information, including the Academic Assistance FAQ. For full program details, see the Summary Plan Description.
- Undergraduate degree programs, that are taken at an accredited institution and that lead to an associate's or bachelor's degree, are eligible. The program must be related to the business of Vanguard, included on the approved field of study list.
- The following graduate degree programs, at an accredited institution, are eligible:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT).
- Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS).
- Master of Science in Information Science (MSIS).
- Master of Science in Data Analytics (MSDA).
- All other graduate degree programs must be related to the crew member's current job and lead to a master’s degree. A graduate-level program is job-related if it maintains or improves the skills necessary in the crew member's current job or it is required by Vanguard (or applicable law or regulations) as a condition for the crew member to retain their position or compensation level.
The reimbursement amount a crew member is eligible to receive for each course (tuition and books) depends on the grade received in the course, as shown below:
|A or B||100%|
|C- or "pass" in a pass/fail course||50%|
|Below C-, or "fail" in a pass/fail course||None|
For pass/fail courses, letter grade equivalencies cannot be submitted to receive full reimbursement. Reimbursement is based on the grade as listed on the official school transcript.
Steps to further your education
For assistance with any academic assistance questions, contact the EdAssist contact center from 8 a.m.–8 p.m., Eastern time, at 855-729-5960. Here are some helpful steps to get started:
- Talk with your manager about your interest and eligibility to pursue a degree, including how it fits into your current role.
- Schedule a free personal advising session with education and finance advisors to help you decide on the right school and program for your career goals. Call 855-729-5960 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
- Review the list of schools in the EdAssist Education Network on the EdAssist site that offer savings to Vanguard crew members. You can access the Network in the My Learning Center link after you log in to your account.
- Request degree approval for all graduate degrees by submitting a case through Crew Central™, including supporting documentation. Once approved, submit degree and course information via the EdAssist website. Requests for undergraduate degrees should be submitted directly through the EdAssist website.
- Complete your online application on the EdAssist website.
Be sure to review the tutorials on the EdAssist website to learn more about the application and reimbursement procedures. You and your manager can also enjoy easy online access to view your application and reimbursement requests, pending approvals, and other important updates.
Proof of participation if deferring tuition payment
If your college or university accepts tuition deferral, you may submit a case through Crew Central to request confirmation of your eligibility to participate in the Plan. If your institution requires a separate tuition deferral form, please include that form with your case. Crew Central will attach the completed form within case, and if requested, also send the completed form(s) to you through interoffice mail.