There are many reasons for which you may need to take a leave of absence from work, and Vanguard offers a number of programs to assist in accommodating your needs. If you believe you may qualify for a leave of absence, but aren't sure which type of leave you should apply for, review the summaries of the leave types below. You should also review the policy (links are in Research) for that leave type to determine eligibility, the impact on your compensation and benefits, how to apply, and more.
Vanguard has several types of leaves crew members can take depending on their situation:
- Short-term disability leave provides income and benefits coverage to crew members during the recovery from an injury or illness that is not related to the crew member's employment at Vanguard.
- Parental leave provides paid bonding time for crew who become parents through birth, adoption, surrogacy, or foster care.
- The Family Medical and Leave Act, or FMLA, allows crew members up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per rolling year for the birth or placement of a child; to care for a spouse, child, or parent with a serious health condition; or to recover from your own serious health condition.
- Family care leave provides paid time to care for a seriously ill spouse, child, or parent, as defined under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Long-term disability leave provides income and benefits when crew members are unable to work for 180 or more days due to an injury or illness.
- Personal leave is an unpaid leave which may be granted when a crew member is experiencing serious and pressing personal circumstances, including Family and Medical Leave (FML) reasons if the crew member has exhausted his or her 12‑week entitlement.
- Uniformed services leave is granted to crew members who serve in the military, whether voluntarily or involuntarily.
- Workers' compensation provides disability leave and medical benefits for crew members who incur an injury or illness arising in, and related to, the course of employment.
Note: The above information is a summary of the leave types indicated. For full program details, see the policy links in Research. If a discrepancy exists between this summary page and the actual policy, the policy will govern.