It is important to designate beneficiaries for your Vanguard benefits to ensure your intended beneficiary receives your assets upon your death. Crew members can name or change their beneficiaries for the benefits listed below at any time. Unlike other benefits changes, you do not need to wait for a life event.
Tips for naming or changing your beneficiaries:
- Have the following information available for your intended beneficiary when making updates to your plan: name, relationship, date of birth, address, and Social Security number.
- Note that beneficiary designations do not carry over between benefits and must be updated separately. For example, if you recently updated your life insurance beneficiaries, you still have to take steps to update the beneficiaries for your Retirement Savings Plan.
- Review and update your beneficiary designations periodically, particularly when you experience a major life event, such as birth, marriage, divorce, or a death in the family.
- Be sure your allocation percentages each add up to 100% for primary and secondary (contingent) beneficiaries if you are naming more than one beneficiary.
Naming or changing RSP beneficiaries
Naming or changing life insurance beneficiaries
The process to name or change life insurance beneficiaries requires several steps using eBenefits, Vanguard's online benefits enrollment system on CrewNet. Follow these steps:
- Notify Benefits via the Report your life event link in Take action.
- Select Beneficiary Change from the Life Event Type dropdown menu and click Submit. The Event Date field will be populated with the current date.
- Note that you will receive a Lotus Note by the next business day titled Eligible to Change Election. It will include a link, Click Here to Access eBenefits. Use this link to navigate to the Benefits Enrollment page in Crew Self Service.
- Click Select next to your Beneficiary Change event.
- Click Edit next to the Basic Life section of your enrollment page.
- Update the current life insurance beneficiaries listed with your current allocations. Click Add/Update Dependents and Beneficiaries toward the center of the Basic Life page to add the new beneficiary's personal information.
- Navigate back to the enrollment worksheet by clicking Return to Event Selection. The new beneficiary should be listed. After updating your allocation percentages, click Submit to send the changes to the Benefits Department. Changes will not take effect until you click Submit.
- Note that you will receive a link to the updated confirmation statement through Lotus Notes within one business day after the election changes have been processed.
Naming or changing HSA beneficiaries
Crew members enrolled in the high-deductible health plan (HDHP) most likely have a health savings account (HSA) with Health Savings Administrators. To designate or change a beneficiary on your account, follow these steps:
- Complete and print the HSA Designation of Beneficiaries Form. Please note, you cannot save a completed copy of this form on your computer. If you would like a copy for your personal records, please print the completed form and make a copy.
- Mail or fax your completed form to Health Savings Administrators, 10800 Midlothian Tpk, Ste 240, Richmond, VA 23235, Fax: (804) 726-1570.
For more information, please refer to Health savings accounts (HSAs): Q&A: Beneficiaries in Research.