Ensuring you are financially prepared to achieve all of your goals requires thought, planning, and maybe a little help as you learn how to balance everything. Vanguard offers services and tools to help you manage debt, plan and invest wisely, and prepare for retirement.
- Budgeting: Through our partnership with Carebridge, you have access to counseling resources, tutorials, articles, and tools to learn how to effectively budget income and pay off debt.
- Dealing with financial pressures: Unexpected expenses can derail your financial well-being. The Vanguard series Your Investing Life: Your personal life explores a number of subjects that can help you stay on track.
- Education expenses: Vanguard provides financial assistance to qualifying crew members for student loans and for their dependent child’s post-secondary education expenses.
Plan and invest
- College savings: Find out more about saving and paying for a college education, as well as the investment vehicles available to help you save for yourself or someone else, on vanguard.com. If you're going back to school, you may benefit from Vanguard's Academic Assistance Plan.
- Rainy day funds: Knowing that you have a financial fallback for emergencies gives you one less thing to worry about. How much should you save, and which investments should you make? Get the basics on emergency funds. Also, don’t forget to review your insurance needs to make sure you are adequately protected. Vanguard offers insurance for both you and your family.
- Personal savings goals: How much do you really need to save for a house, a wedding, a car—and which financial vehicles should you use or not use? Get some answers here.
- Health savings account: If you are enrolled in the High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP), Vanguard makes tax-free contributions to a health savings account (HSA). You can also make pre-tax contributions to your HSA, up to an annual limit. Earnings in your account grow tax-deferred, and any withdrawals used for qualified medical expenses are not taxed.
- Vanguard Investment Plan (VIP) for crew members: Crew members can save outside of the Retirement and Savings Plan (RSP) with just a $25 initial investment. Find out more about the VIP.
- Financial planning: Vanguard Financial Planning Services (VFPS) can help answer your questions about choosing investments for your savings goals and determining whether you need a more detailed financial plan. These services are offered at no cost to Flagship® and Voyager Select® clients, and at a reduced cost for other crew. To get started, log on to your RSP account (make sure you go to the Employer plans section if you have multiple accounts). Click Get Advice, then Additional Guidance, and choose Schedule an appointment.
Save for retirement
- Vanguard Managed Account Program (VMAP™): Powered by Financial Engines, VMAP provides independent, objective advice for RSP participants. This service, offered at cost to Vanguard crew members, analyzes funds in your portfolio, offers investment recommendations, and implements those recommendations over time. To learn more, log on to your RSP account, and then go to Advice and Education.
- Personal Online Advisor: Powered by Financial Engines, this tool can provide a detailed picture of your progress toward a comfortable retirement. This service is offered at no cost to Vanguard crew members. For more information, log on to your RSP account.
- Roth 401(k) contributions: Consider whether adding the Roth option to your RSP lineup may be right for your investing goals.
- Vanguard IRA® options: For a more comfortable retirement, save outside the RSP in a Vanguard IRA.
Get ready to retire
- Planning tools: If you're thinking about retiring, but you're not sure where to begin or want to make sure you're prepared, you can find more information here.
- Income +: This feature of the RSP provides online assistance to help you generate income from retirement savings accounts and Social Security. Income + is available to RSP participants who use VMAP or Personal Online Advisor. To learn more, visit financialengines.com/forvanguard or call 800-310-9228.
- VFPS for RSP participants: VFPS can answer questions about transitioning into retirement and determine whether a detailed financial plan is right for you. These services are offered at no cost to RSP participants age 50 or older. To get started, log on to your RSP account (make sure you go to the Employer Plans section if you have multiple accounts). Click Get Advice, then Additional Guidance, and choose Schedule an appointment.
All investing is subject to risk, including the possible loss of the money you invest.
The Vanguard Group has partnered with Financial Engines Advisors LLC to provide subadvisory services to the Vanguard Managed Account Program and Personal Online Advisor. Financial Engines Advisors LLC is an independent, federally registered investment advisor that does not sell investments or receive commission for the investments it recommends. Advice is provided by Vanguard Advisers, Inc. (VAI), a federally registered investment advisor and an affiliate of The Vanguard Group, Inc. (Vanguard). Eligibility restrictions may apply. Vanguard is owned by the Vanguard funds, which are distributed by Vanguard Marketing Corporation, a registered broker-dealer affiliated with VAI and Vanguard. Neither Vanguard, Financial Engines, nor their respective affiliates guarantee future results.
Vanguard Financial Planning Services, offered as part of Vanguard Personal Advisor Services, are provided by Vanguard Advisers, Inc., a federally registered investment advisor. Eligibility restrictions may apply.
Financial Engines is a trademark of Financial Engines, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission.