Vanguard offers personal legal services to all benefits-eligible crew members, their spouses and domestic partners, and children up to age 26.
The provider, Hyatt Legal Plans, gives you access to a nationwide network of more than 2,500 law firms whose members (plan attorneys) will provide complete representation on a variety of legal matters, including:
- Selling, purchasing, or refinancing a home.
- Wills, living trusts, name changes, and premarital agreements.
- Document preparation (deeds, mortgages, and notes).
- Debt collection.
- Personal bankruptcy and consumer protection services.
- Civil litigation defense.
- Defense for traffic offenses (except driving under the influence) and for offenses by juveniles.
- Identity-theft defense. Hyatt Legal offers LifeStages Identity Management Services, administered by CyberScout, LLC. LifeStages offers two types of identity management services:
- Proactive services when an enrollee believes his or her personal data has been compromised.
- Resolution services to assist the enrollee in recovering from account takeover or identity theft, with unlimited assistance to fix issues, handle notifications, and provide victims with credit and fraud monitoring.
You will have the opportunity to enroll in the plan initially when you are hired and during each annual Open Enrollment period. For more information about Hyatt Legal Plans and coverage, please visit the Hyatt Legal Plans website. You may also speak to a client service representative by calling 800-821-6400 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Eastern time.
How you use the benefit
Once you've enrolled, call Hyatt Legal Plans at 800-821-6400 whenever you have a legal concern, and a client service representative will explain the process and help you find a nearby attorney. You can also visit the Hyatt Legal Plans website, where you can generate a legal case number and locate an attorney to work with. Office consultations and telephone advice are fully covered.
Please note: When you call or use the website, you will be asked for your Hyatt Legal Plans access code, which is provided to you by mail at the beginning of the plan year in January. If you haven't received your plan access code, simply call Hyatt Legal Plans, provide your name, and tell them you are covered under the Vanguard plan.
Important legal services considerations
- You cannot change your legal services election during the plan year for any reason.
- There is no limit on the number of times you can use the service.
- Your payroll deduction covers all plan attorney fees. You are responsible for paying any third-party costs such as filing fees, witness fees, fines, and court costs.
- You can receive initial advice and consultation from Hyatt Legal Plans even for legal matters that are not covered. Your plan attorney will provide you with a written fee agreement should you seek representation.
- You can use a non-plan attorney for any matter covered by Hyatt Legal Plans and be reimbursed, provided you contact Hyatt Legal Plans first.
- If you become ineligible to receive benefits, you will be covered for any services that were pending with a Hyatt Legal attorney while you were enrolled in the plan.
- Your participation is governed by traditional lawyer/client confidentiality.
- If you and your spouse both work at Vanguard and are electing this coverage, only one of you should enroll. The other should waive coverage.
- If you enroll, you can purchase coverage for your parents.